ILR programs and courses cover a wide variety of subjects including science, medicine and technology, literature, the visual and performing arts, history, philosophy, and current events.
Courses and programs are held on the Oak Hammock campus located at 5100 SW 25th Boulevard (off SW Williston Road).
Courses are offered during three terms beginning in January, March, and October. There is also an abbreviated summer program.
Courses are presented by active and retired professors from the University of Florida and Santa Fe College as well as experts in particular fields of study. Additional programs are offered year-round. Some courses include field trips.
ILR courses and programs are open to all ILR members, including both Oak Hammock residents and citizens of the greater Gainesville community.
- Diversified curriculum in science, humanities and fine arts
- No finals, grades or homework
- New classes each fall, winter, spring and summer
- ILR faculty from University of Florida and Santa Fe College, and experts from the community and Oak Hammock
- A desire to learn and to participate in a group setting are the only requirements
Examples of Group Discussions
- Foreign policy’s Great Decisions
- Science reading/discussion group
- Literature/poetry discussion group
- Cutting edge topics with the experts
- Mini-medical school series
- Understanding and enjoying opera
- Foreign language classes
- A variety of summer programs